Father poisons son after paternity row with wife

08 Nov, 2019 - 00:11 0 Views
Father poisons son after paternity row with wife

Faith Chinouya Rusape Correspondent
A RUSAPE teenage father did the unthinkable when he allegedly fed a poisonous tobacco pesticide into his son’s mouth with a syringe and instantly killed him following a protracted paternity dispute with the mother.

The suspect, aged 17, and cannot be named because of his age, is from Mayo. He has since been arrested for allegedly poisoning his son with diazinon poison in a desperate bid to fix the child’s mother. Problems between the young couple started following the birth of the child and the two were no longer sharing the bedroom as husband and wife over the matter.

The child was reportedly seen vomiting and frothing from the mouth by a neighbour.

Manicaland deputy police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Luxson Chananda confirmed the death of the child and subsequent arrest of the father.

“I confirm that the child was (allegedly) poisoned on October 31, 2019 at home by his father,” he said.

The father appeared before Rusape magistrate Mr Obedience Matare on Saturday facing murder charges. Mr Benon Makuwire prosecuted.

Mr Makuwire told the court that the young father allegedly took advantage of his wife’s absence to sneak into her bedroom where the child was sleeping.

“Armed with a syringe containing a pesticide known as (diazinon), he administered it into the child’s mouth using the hypodermic.

The accused and his wife had a protracted dispute over the paternity of the child and were no longer sharing the same bedroom as husband and wife over the matter.

“When the wife returned from the river, she was informed that her son was producing froth from the mouth and vomiting by a neighbour. She rushed into the bedroom and noticed that her son was vomiting and frothing.

“There was a foul smell.  The child passed away while she was holding him. She then alerted other neighbours, who informed police around 8am,’’ said Mr Makuwire.

Police arrived at the scene and interrogated the accused, who then admitted administering poison into the child’s mouth willingly.

He then led the police to a nearby fowl run where he had dumped the syringe containing the diazinon pesticide.

The father was not asked to plead and was remanded in custody to November 18, 2019 for remand.

He was, however, advised to apply for bail at the High Court as the lower court has no jurisdiction over murder cases.

Share This:

Sponsored Links